Let's Talk About BIMBOCORE...
Hannah Collins is out there having a blast. After blowing up on TikTok, this brilliant Scene Queen has parlayed that viral fame into a burgeoning career as a musical artist with a pair of EPs released this year, BIMBOCORE and BIMBOCORE, Vol. 2, and this is some of the most exuberant, catchy and in-your-face pop music I've heard in a long time. Collins coined the term "bimbocore" to refer to the aggressive alternative pop she lays down with aplomb, folding in elements of early Ke$ha and Brooke Candy with crunchy electronica and a bubblegum aesthetic, all with a powerful feminist foundation that refuses to be objectified or ignored. Scene Queen puts it all out there with her single Pink Rover, a violent bop that turns the tables on the proverbial leering creep, gleefully threatening to "put a knife in his boner" if he persists in being a catcalling pervert. That's all you need to know. It's a toe-tapping slice of candy-colored, blood-soaked empowerment, and it absolutely fucking rules.
Collins presents as hyper-feminine and confrontational because she's sick and tired of playing the role of the timid young woman who is expected to behave a certain way in order to avoid standing out in the pop culture landscape. Simply put, Hannah Collins refuses to give a fuck and has started kicking doors down because she's a bad motherfucker and doesn't care who knows it. Here's a verse from Pink Hotel, my personal favorite Scene Queen track that always makes me smile:
Room service!
I always deliver, I don't eat in bed 'less it's my girl for dinner
I-I-I got her yellin', "Oh God!" like it's scripture
Another church girl that I turned to a stripper
Room service!
I know you didn't order, but everybody gets it, I don't let them cut the corners
On this floor, the room you're in is my new house of horrors
And I can't let you leave without some cock and ball torture
Who doesn't want to check into that hotel? It's like all of my favorite fantasies rolled into one alluring package! Maybe that says a little too much about yours truly, but I don't particularly care. I've always had a habit of over-sharing. If you want to be virtual pen pals and have me talk your virtual ear off with some of my insane stories, email me!
Anyhoo, Scene Queen is one of my absolute favorite new artists because she does whatever the hell she wants to do and she isn't looking for your approval. She wanted to make some cool music, and she didn't want to conform to any arbitrary rules, so she said "fuck it" and made things work her own way, singlehandedly creating an entire genre of badass music that simultaneously hates you and loves you in the most wonderfully enticing manner, with a big fucking knife in one hand and a comically oversized lollipop in the other. By the time Scene Queen's finished with you, you'll be bruised, battered and begging for more.
Hannah Collins stands alone in the pop culture landscape, proclaiming her happiness with being herself and refusing to change who she is just to fit into anybody else's scene. She made her own goddamned scene, and she's its undisputed queen. She's telling her listeners not to worry about trying to live up to the standards of others. Be yourself. That's more than enough. If you're a weirdo, be a fucking weirdo. Scene Queen is a safe space for the marginalized and vilified. You're welcome in this scene. You matter. You're wanted. You're celebrated. Come along and sparkle like a deranged diamond with this beautiful community of glittering misfits and oddballs. The music's fresh as hell, everything's pink and the party never ends.
Don't you want to be a part of this phantasmagorical scene?
Keep It Weird! -Max Power
Stream BIMBOCORE and BIMBOCORE, Vol. 2

Comments
Post a Comment